Be yourself at work
Have you ever considered how much time we spend at work? Anything in between 8-12 hours a day… Am I right? And again if I ask you that in those 8-12 hours ,how many hours you have spent being yourself while talking and discussing matters freely with your boss and colleagues too….I know its very difficult to be your real self at work. There is a lot on stake…a big fear of being judged, criticised and having negative consequences…and hence we act and talk as desired and practiced by everyone around us…
You must be thinking what’s wrong in that….I will say A LOT
By doing as desired, practiced and so called required by others we are placing our work locus of control externally, which develops lack of personal control on one’s work life. And thats why we feel enslaved not FREE….most of the times it feels like we are doing drudgery.
Therefore its important to learn strategies to be yourself even at work. In psychology we call it psychological safety at workplace.
Psychological safety at the workplace is the capacity to work and express oneself without fear of negative consequences. When employees feel psychologically safe ,their wellbeing increases automatically.
On an average we stay awake for 15-16 hours maximum during one full day. And spending 8-12 hours at work being someone else, faking our personality, changes our entire persona and slowly we become something that even we don’t identify.
There are so many things that affect psychological safety at workplace. Trust, organisational habits, and individuals personality etc.
I am sharing few easy steps towards being yourself and psychologically safe at workplace below-
- Observe yourself at work for a few days
- Ask this question to yourself whenever you interact with anyone at work, “Is it real me or I am behaving as the person in front of me wanting me to”
- If during 7 out of 10 conversations you are yourself then GOOD JOB, but below 7 you have somethings to change about how to communicate at workplace.
- Think what is frightening you, try and analyse the situation.
- Once you figure out what is driving force behind faking yourself, then try to manage it. (Seek professional help if required)
- Reach out to the Human Resource department for help if needed.
Lets make it beautiful and as much as we can-‘stress free’ after all we have only One Precious Life.